Author Topic: McClelland 5100  (Read 2246 times)

Blackadder

McClelland 5100
« on: May 27, 2009, 07:36:43 PM »
This is a pure blend of Virgina red cake, very smooth medium in taste. The tin aroma is fermented Va smell that is both sweet and sour. It comes in long ribbon cut that is easy to pack, sometimes it needs  a bit of dry time. It is a very consistant smoke and makes a good all day smoke for Va lovers. I think that this blend makes a great pipe break in blend, since it burns cool and leaves no ghosts. It comes in bulk only as far as I have ever seen I am sure a lot of B&M's buy this in bulk and rename it as their own. This would be a perfect blend for someone who wants to start trying VA's it can bite but must be smoked extemely fast and hard for it to bite. All in all an excellent medium blend that burns down to a fine white ash easily packed and lit. Also this one is great with 2-3 years of age on it.

I give it 3 out of 5

HiloJohnny

• 1 Gold Pipe
  • Wherever you go....There you are!
    • View Profile
Re: McClelland 5100
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 09:49:55 PM »
Well, Matt.....I haven't tried this yet as I am not strongly into VAs.....but I was wondering: Is there any logic in the McClelland numbering system....I've enjoyed 5110 but that one is a medium english.... ???
Live Aloha

MrJeff

• Senior Moderator
  • 1 Gold Pipe
  • Popeye was a Coastie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 10:12:04 PM »
Hey John, I'm probably going to order some next week. If you would like to try some let me know. As far as the numbers go, I'm sure they make sense to McClelland but I haven't been able to figure them out.
A well defined problem is already half solved.

Aloha, John.

Pseudo Nim

• 1 Pipe
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 01:55:41 PM »
Of only three McC's blends I've tried, Christmas Cheer 2008 and Blackwoods Flake being the others, 5100 is by far the winner.  A delight to smoke.

strongirish

• It's all my fault!
  • Adm and Senior Moderator
  • 5 Gold Pipes
  • Got a lite?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 09:25:34 PM »
Just got some to try, I will review after trying it.

Gig

• 5 Pipes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 07:59:05 PM »
I really, really enjoy smoking 5100. It's tangy and zesty, the type of tobacco blend I like very much and highly recommend it to all VA lovers  puff

rbull

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 03:08:21 PM »
I am almost never without this stuff.  As well as being great on its own; I find it to be an excellent utility tobacco.  I have mixed it with just about everything.  Most aromatics are too intensely sweet for my tastes, but mixed about 1 part to 3 or 4 with 5100 usually makes a nice smoke for me.  Sometimes it can even eliminate that chemical/PG taste in american style aromatics.   I also mix it 50/50 with 5110 on occasion.

Re: the McClelland numbers -

3 digit numbers under 1000 are generally aromatics (many the wet, goopy kind you find in your B&M).
The 2000 series is mostly matured virginias and broken flakes.
The 5000 series is mostly English and mixtures.
There's a burley series, most of which have an X- followed by a 2 digit number.

There are exceptions to all these rules, though (5100 being w/ the English, for example - I think they consider it "English style" because it's not a flake). Best advice is to go somewhere like tobaccomkt.com and browse what they have.

RickPiatt

• 1 Gold Pipe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 09:04:26 PM »
Yeah it's a pretty safe order but someone should mention that 5100 has about the strongest ketchup flavor of all the McClellands - just in case that bothers you.  Still a top notch baccy though.

Bandit Rider

• 1 Pipe
  • B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 01:30:28 PM »
I really like this, and have some cellared. I purchase it with almost every order. I have decided that I like it much better then Hal-of-the-Wind. As a matter of fact, I don't see myself ordering Hal again. I just can't get it.

Tortoise

• 2 Gold Pipes
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 02:58:12 AM »
_bump_

I've smoked this a few times now and I can't help but notice a strange resemblance to McDonald's French Fries.

For whatever that's worth.

Steve Laug

• 4 pipes
    • View Profile
    • Servants Anonymous Foundation
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 04:03:59 PM »
5100 has been my go to blend for a long time. I always have a good bunch in the cellar and smoke only the ones that have some good age on them. Smoking some from 2003 currently and it only gets better with age.