Author Topic: McClelland's Blackwoods Flake  (Read 2625 times)

strongirish

• It's all my fault!
  • Adm and Senior Moderator
  • 5 Gold Pipes
  • Got a lite?
    • View Profile
    • Email
McClelland's Blackwoods Flake
« on: October 23, 2009, 04:17:02 AM »
as i reviewed in tobaccoreviews.com

Just looking at this stuff intrigued me.  It looks like it would be good, a deep, dark, blackish brown broken flake with a deep fig/raison aroma and an oily soft hand feel.  It folded up into my pipe and I set upon it in anticipation and a good cup of tea.  I used a large Sav dry system pipe which I don't recommend for this one.  it does much better in a small to medium pipe.  In my Sav it became a two and a half hour smoke as well.  It is a bear to get lit but after burning up half the fuel in my Zippo, it lit and stayed lit forever.  It burns very slow and even, can't make it burn hot and fast no matter how hard you try.  And it burns all the way down to the bottom of my pipe without even a hint of moisture or dottle.  Just leaves a wisp of ash.  The smoking of this blend is a nice sweet experience.  It is a mellow, deep, and savory smoke with a little spice in it.  It does have a touch of tongue bite if smoked aggressively.  This reminds me, just a little of SG Black Irish X in the pungent aroma and taste.  My only real complaint with this blend is, well...it never really develops into anything.  Same taste from start to finish.  For some that is a good thing, but in a large pipe that lasts a long time, I like a little variable in the flavors.  But it is a very enjoyable blend that I do recommend.  It's just not incredible.

Blackadder

Re: McClelland's Blackwoods Flake
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 04:32:23 AM »
This is one I intended on trying along with St. James Woods, Dark Star, Bombay Court and Bombay Extra

Tortoise

• 2 Gold Pipes
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 09:17:06 PM »
I just had my first bowl of it. Really enjoyed it. It has a slight, charred flavor that I like.

krawdad13

• 2 Gold Pipes
  • Call me Kurt, You can call the dog Hanna
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 03:49:15 PM »
Earlier, I judged Blackwoods Flake in an unfair back-to-back with Brindle Flake. I really like Brindle, but that's no excuse not to judge the Blackwoods fairly. Now, I've finished the tin and can, I hope, be more objective.
This stuff arrives too wet in the tin. It smoked much better as it was left open. The last few smokes of the tin were the best. Smoking in a small, deep bowl brought out the best this flake has to give. My initial taste of this was that it had a sharp and stringent affect on the tongue but time cured that evil. My later tastes of it were much improved. It is a smooth and comforting smoke when drier.
I've put a couple of tins in the cellar to see how they fare with some age on them and frankly, I'm looking forward to our next encounter.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him, better take a look at the American Indian"-Henry Ford

Marcus Cicero was correct when he said; "Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice and moderation in defense of Liberty is no virtue."

Politicians are the easiest to operate on.
> There's no guts, no heart, no balls, no brains and no spine, and the
> head and the ass are interchangeable. "

strongirish

• It's all my fault!
  • 5 Gold Pipes
  • Got a lite?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 06:23:58 PM »
You are right, this is not a blend that you can just open the tin and smoke it, it must be fiddled with and dried to make it smoke well.  I just never have been able to get it to bemore than one dimentional myself.

krawdad13

• 2 Gold Pipes
  • Call me Kurt, You can call the dog Hanna
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 06:39:25 PM »
But it's a pretty good dimension.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him, better take a look at the American Indian"-Henry Ford

Marcus Cicero was correct when he said; "Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice and moderation in defense of Liberty is no virtue."

Politicians are the easiest to operate on.
> There's no guts, no heart, no balls, no brains and no spine, and the
> head and the ass are interchangeable. "

strongirish

• It's all my fault!
  • 5 Gold Pipes
  • Got a lite?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 07:36:42 PM »
I agree, I still give it 3 our of four stars and keep it around.

TommyTree

• Rationer of the Longbottom Leaf
  • 5 Gold Pipes
  • It's all Earl's Fault!
    • View Profile
    • Ponderings from Piper's Paradise
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 07:52:51 PM »
Anything more than one dimension is lost unless you're able to sit down and focus on the flavors. You have to have tobaccos with one solid dimension for when you're out and about.
"Mustard does not have a moral!" — Katie Lee

JC

• 2 Gold Pipes
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 08:12:35 PM »
I really enjoy Blackwoods Flake, however I'm still on my first tin that happens to be dated 2007.
"The right word may be effective, but no word was ever as effective as a rightly timed pause." Mark Twain

strongirish

• It's all my fault!
  • 5 Gold Pipes
  • Got a lite?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 10:17:25 PM »
Some of us arn't so slow er special and can taste the different elements of the tobacco while we are doing something else.  But that's OK Tommy,  :-*

Muddler

• 5 Gold Pipes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 04:53:45 PM »
I opened a tin of this dated 2005 a week ago. It is superb. Highly recommended. One of the best of McC's range of excellent Va's.
Mike

Monkeyshine

• 2 Pipes
  • Goon
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2011, 04:31:46 PM »
Blackwoods Flake is something I have been dying to try. My local b&m never seems to have it on the shelf but they do carry it so either someone must be buying it all up or it's just very popular.

Smoker99

• 4 Gold Pipes
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2011, 09:59:27 AM »
Until tonight, it has been 30 yrs or so since I tried a McClelland virginia. A few weeks ago I ordered a tin of Blackwoods Flake figuring my tastes and technique have matured, and maybe I will like it. I popped the tin, and took a deep whiff. It stung my nose, and I immediately got the old McClelland ketchup/vinegar/acetic acid aroma. It is just overwhelming to me, and I cannot smell tobacco, raisins, figs, prunes , or anything else but acetic acid.. I wanted to give it a fair shake, so I smoked it in an excellent smoking pre Lane Charatan Bulldog. I let the tobacco dry about an hour, but the offensive aroma never went away. I found it to be a very smooth smoke, and biteless. It was at best medium strength and body, and fairly bland for a virginia, and quite monoflavored. It was pretty much just smoking to be smoking. The acetic acid aroma never went away though, all the way to the bottom. Maybe it was imbedded in my nares, as I always exhale thru the nose.  A lot of smokers rave about this blend, so am guessing, it is just my sensitivity to the acetic acid that prevents me from liking it. Final impression, a decent, good burning middle of the road Va, for those who can tolerate the McClelland treatment, just nothing to write home about.
ATF, Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms. Should be the name of a convenience store chain, not a govt agency.