Author Topic: Packing  (Read 102 times)

JKenP

• 4 pipes
    • View Profile
Packing
« on: October 08, 2017, 06:39:11 PM »
Have you seen the fine English gentlemen showing his way to load a pipe.  It is on Youtube.  He's at a desk and has a sheet of paper with a pile of tobacco on it.  He then wiggles the pipe on it and produces his version of the perfect fill.

I found it interesting and even tried it.  It works but with more effort and complexity than one would want.

So, I found my better way.

I just review English Luxury.  It is the perfect foil for this.  It is loose in nature without being stringy.  If you have a stringy tobacco, you'll need to pull/break it apart.

Pick up a good size glob between three finger.  Hold it fairly loosely.  Place it over the bowl and wiggle while providing very light pressure.  When it start to pressure back, remove the rest and clean/press the top for lighting.

Once you get the hang of it, it becomes a very natural act and does do a very nice, consistent fill.  It just inverts the process of the fine English gentlemen.

It really doesn't take long to get it right.  Some blends are harder to do this with than others; back to the clumpy/stringy one.  With those you may have to make it a two step process by packing between fills to remove the voids they can create. 
Ken

Woodsman

• 4 Gold Pipes
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Packing
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 12:50:45 AM »
I tried the English method and I found it packed too tight probably due to excessive pressure. I never thought of your modification which allows monitoring the pack better.

Thanks Ken