Author Topic: Science Fiction  (Read 681 times)

Woodsman

• 4 Gold Pipes
    • View Profile
    • Email
Science Fiction
« on: September 28, 2016, 10:19:46 PM »
IMHO I've been a Science Fiction fan for 60 years. Sci-Fi has always been a non-mainstream form of literature, but I was employed in the high tech world for over 50 years because I kind of knew what was been coming. Many of our technical advances have been inspired by the authors of long ago, some of them being Atomic Powered Submarines (20,000 Leagues Beneath Sea), Personal Video Phones, Electric Cars, Self Driving Cars, Super Sonic Aircraft, so many things both good and bad have been foreseen. Today many people say "That's Science Fiction" as a term disparagement, but say that to the young people in our Engineering schools and they'll say "We're working on it."

I've been lucky enough to have been around to see a number of the breakthroughs and refinements that have even surpassed my wildest suppositions. Our Space Shuttles Computers had 16k memory chips, you can get 1Terabyte chips today.

The bad is also with us. You're all aware of how the young people are basically forced into non paying internships for months and even years. They're hired on 6 month "Contracts" and then laid off for 6 months so that they never qualify for benefits, and other coercions. And of course we have the best Congress money can buy (Gladiator at Large).

Sorry for the rant, the high handed treatment of our innocuous hobby by the Big Tobacco's FDA Stooges has me rather upset.

The following users thanked this post: Aristokles, Yohanan

vasco

• 1 Gold Pipe
  • just another pipe hacker
    • View Profile
    • Cachimbo PT blog
Re: Science Fiction
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 12:08:28 AM »
I've been reading sci-fi since I was 10 and that shapes every day of my life.
Real life gets a bit in the way, of course, but I'm still hoping for Heinlein's rolling roads and every time the USA have an election I think if the next one will be the Prophet.
If I had any talent for maths I would have been an engineer, one of the things I'm more curious about aliens is how they solve the really basic problems, nails, screws or what ???
May your troubles be less and your blessings be more,
and nothing but happiness come through your door.
--

Woodsman

• 4 Gold Pipes
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 12:40:43 AM »
Our previous President Bush had me  worried about "The Prophet" myself. Now I'm worried about Post Apocalypse possibilities.

Pipe Mama

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 01:13:52 AM »
I was reading Planet of the Apes while in 7th. grade.  Always went to the SiFi section before it was popular ;)

Woodsman

• 4 Gold Pipes
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 06:58:12 PM »
I started on the Heinlein Juveniles myself, his adult books were very powerful. "Stranger in a Strange Land" got a whole generation thinking. He is one that will be missed.

vasco

• 1 Gold Pipe
    • View Profile
    • Cachimbo PT blog
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2016, 10:20:26 PM »
I think that my first Heinlein was "Time enough for love" (translated) and I was hooked since then. Bush son always looked too dumb to be "The Prophet", we'll see about this one. How was it on Friday ? "Chicago free state"? Can't quite remember, I think I'll be re-reading it next.
--

Woodsman

• 4 Gold Pipes
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2016, 12:16:59 AM »
Heinlein wrote so many great books, he even got sex out of the closet in a lot of his later works. There are a lot of newer authors like Robert Sawyer that have taken the craft to new highs.

JKenP

• 4 pipes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2016, 05:36:13 PM »
I use Calibre to manage too many books.  SciFi and mystery predominate.  The rest is an eclectic mix.  It totals 3595 books at the moment.   PM me.
Ken

vasco

• 1 Gold Pipe
    • View Profile
    • Cachimbo PT blog
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2016, 11:10:08 PM »
Hi,
I'm a Calibre user too, not many books on my lib at the moment because my desktop died a few months ago and I can't afford to replace it, so I'm restarting from scratch on my laptop. I haven't red a paper book in about 4 or 5 years.
While I find ok to read on the smartphone I miss being able to find a book or author just by looking at the book pile.

Are you only onto hard sf or do you like fantasy too ?
I have to say that I'm "bi"  8) I love so much the Amber chronicles and the Wheel of time as I love series like Peter F. Hamilton's Night's Dawn or Commonwealth Saga.

I do own an ebook reader, but as it lacks a back light I do almost all the reading on the phone.
--

Woodsman

• 4 Gold Pipes
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2016, 01:02:46 AM »
Fantasy too, I go to 2 Sci-Fi/ Fantasy Conventions a year. EerieCon. in Niagara Falls which is Small,100 to 150 persons, relaxed and the beer flows free, and Arisia in Boston which is Large, 6,000 plus, mainly MIT students , very frenetic, with Dealers, Artists, Authors, and Rocket Fuel parties. Both are Fun to attend and I get to see friends from all over that I don't usually see during the year. Every year I tell myself that I'll take pictures and always forget to do so. I have some from Boston last year one of which was a Sharknado Party that I use as my PipeChat photo. 

JKenP

• 4 pipes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2016, 04:41:37 PM »
Quite a bit of fantasy too.  Pick up a 4G SD card and pm me and I'll pass on my address.
Ken