Author Topic: Applying Vanilla  (Read 914 times)

truculentfrogs

• 1 Gold Pipe
    • View Profile
Applying Vanilla
« on: December 14, 2015, 12:30:02 AM »
I have a pound of MacBaren Golden Extra that I would like to enhance. I have a bottle of quality Tahitian Vanilla Extract and my plan is to soak some cotton fiber (pill bottle stuffing) and place that in a stainless steel Tea ball.
Is this feasible? If so, what time frame would be best for the flavors to meld?  I know I could just add a few ounces of MacBaren Vanilla Cream and probably get the same result, but the bottle of Vanilla is just sitting on the shelf gathering dust and I am curious if this process would work.
Thanks in advance for any input or hints.

Woodsman

• 4 Gold Pipes
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Applying Vanilla
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 05:23:50 AM »
I spray Madiera Wine liberally on Black Cavendish and let it dry on my Sun Porch as the main part of my take on Wally Frank's "Old King Cole". Vanilla is a spice that a little cango a long way, I put 2 or 3 drops of Vanilla Extract to 4 ounces of the wine. I your Vanilla is a dry product I'd make a tincture of some in Vodka and spray it on the dry it.

truculentfrogs

• 1 Gold Pipe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 07:00:41 AM »
It is a 4 ounce liquid bottle and marked Pure, so your reminder to go easy with it is a good one.  How easy though, is the question. A teaspoon at a time, perhaps?

Aristokles

• 1 Gold Pipe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 02:59:15 PM »
This topic has inspired me to try some vanilla on C&D Winchester, a blend of which I just can't manage to smoke a full bowl, always digging out the last half still burning. It may be "quality" leaf, but these two components just do not marry well for me. Some topping might help. I'll inch in to it gradually with a little pure vanilla laced alcohol. We'll see what mess I make. It will not be a loss in any case.

Pipes and Bikes

• 4 pipes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 06:46:52 PM »
It is a 4 ounce liquid bottle and marked Pure, so your reminder to go easy with it is a good one.  How easy though, is the question. A teaspoon at a time, perhaps?

I know what you mean, I was guessing when I tried mine. I used food grade vanilla flavoring I used to make ejuice with when I was vaping. I used 50% distilled water to 50% Vanilla.  Its in its third week and the aroma is ok but seems a little strong on the vanilla. I do like the alcohol idea and may try it with a different flavoring. Im doing very small amounts so it if it doesnt work out, minimal loss.
Branden

truculentfrogs

• 1 Gold Pipe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 01:52:37 AM »
Interesting how this has turned into a work in progress project. I've applied 1 1/2 teaspoon to the cotton wadding and placed the Tea Ball into the tobacco. Using a Stay Fresh O.T.C. tub.
Read at 4Noggins today that you can also cut a piece of sponge. That sounds logical and may be better than the cotton and it would eliminate the Tea ball.

The following users thanked this post: Aristokles

truculentfrogs

• 1 Gold Pipe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 11:20:40 PM »
Update:  The vanilla experiment has been a success. Nothing earth shattering, but as this Golden Extra was several years old, it aided hydration and moderately softened the Burley and a little vanilla tang on the Virginia side. Best of all, it reinforced that light cocoa/chocolate component.  I added a couple of drops to refresh the cotton ball, twice while the blend married.
As the extract was high quality, it did not induce any tongue bite either, so all in all, I am pleased with the results

Sid.Stavros

• 5 Gold Pipes
  • Sherlock Holmes-Nemesis
    • View Profile
    • Πιπες και Καπνοι
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 10:49:24 AM »
Few years back a fellow pipe smoker gave me some bottles with aroma especially for tobacco.The smell was strong but due to an accident in the cabinet all the bottles have been destroyed among some other items.
2 times i tried the "alcohol in the jar" trick but both times failed.

While searching i found some relative items:
http://atmoslab.com/catalog/diy/liquidware/flavours/tobacco-flavours
http://www.powerpointonline.co.uk/vip-tobacco-flavours.html

I don't think it's only for e- smoking ways.
Pipes and Tobaccos: http://pipe-smoke.blogspot.gr/
Μy Youtube channel: http://tinyurl.com/p3lzsuk

The following users thanked this post: Aristokles