Author Topic: Killer Black Bear  (Read 1228 times)

Woodsman

• 4 Gold Pipes
    • View Profile
    • Email
Killer Black Bear
« on: November 23, 2014, 07:40:09 PM »
We had a freak incident occur a month ago 20 miles from where I live. A group of College Kids were hiking in a State Preserve when they discovered they were being followed by a bear. They got scared and decided to split up. The bear killed one of them and when found by Rangers/Police it was feeding on the student and so was promptly killed. Necropsy on the bear revealed it to be in good health.

My question is; In all the years I've been around I've never heard of a Black Bear hunting and killing an adult human before. Around here they're treated as a dangerous pest and the only attacks I've heard about were when the bear was provoked. I chase them from my garbage  cans and bird feeders and never had one of them turn surly. Has anyone else heard of a Black Bear attack like this?  Or are our New Jersey Bears taking lessons from the Mafia?

strongirish

• It's all my fault!
  • Adm and Senior Moderator
  • 5 Gold Pipes
  • Got a lite?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Killer Black Bear
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 05:35:22 AM »
In my experience as a hunter and being around them they have never been a problem.  Now and then one will go rogue, but that is rare.

Pipe Mama

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 05:09:06 PM »
This is so said.  I've never heard of a black bear doing this either.

JKenP

• 4 pipes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 08:36:57 PM »
Don't have them in the area so I'm guessing a bit.   There are things you shouldn't do around predators.  Those things often attract an attack.   You have young people and their reaction might have been that which would incite the animal.  Nobody will know for certain if it could have been avoided.  The report isn't very detailed. 
Ken

speas

• 1 Gold Pipe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 10:25:51 PM »
That's crazy.  I hunt in NJ - this year I will carry a few slugs with me when bird hunting.  I see bear signs regularly when out and about. I dont plan on shooting a bear but I have been buying a bear permit when its deer season so as to cover myself in such a situation.

4noggins.com_Mike

• 3 Pipes
  • Lake Tahoe Garage 1920s
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 02:19:02 PM »
In general, I'm not fond of bears. Way too big and too often hungry:).

Woodsman

• 4 Gold Pipes
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 10:36:05 PM »
Follow up-- It seems that many of the students started taking cell phone photos that got the bear's attention, the victim's phone showed apparent shots of the bear as it poked it around after the demise of the student.