Author Topic: iMAC Computers  (Read 1856 times)

Professor Mike

• 3 Pipes
  • Matter can neither be created nor destroyed
    • View Profile
    • Email
iMAC Computers
« on: October 03, 2014, 04:15:01 AM »
 I'm contemplating buying a new computer. Anyone on this forum have any knowledge of the Apple iMAC OSX system. I've never owned one and donot know anyone that does. I need advise and recommendations please. :o :o :o :o
Nobody Dies A Virgin,Life Screws Us All !

Pipe Mama

• 3 Gold Pipes
    • View Profile
Re: iMAC Computers
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 05:34:00 AM »
I have the Apple iMAC and love it.  What do you want to know?  The operating system has been an easy transition from Windows.  I actually started with Apple and went back to it a few years back.

JKenP

• 4 pipes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 02:10:28 PM »
They certainly are attractive at a number of levels and certainly are quality builds.  They are quite pricy compared with an equivalent Windows hardware setup.

If moving from windows, you need to consider other costs and if software you have purchased will run in the Windows emulator you can buy.  That will add to the price and affect enjoyment.  

The Windows market has been hurt by the current Windows but you can order a computer that will run 7.  It requires a different ROM.
Ken

Pipe Mama

• 3 Gold Pipes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 03:15:46 PM »
Yes, Ken, you can purchase Parallels and run Window applications, usually without any problems.  My daughter does this because some of her programs were Windows platform and she didn't want to give them up.

Me, I'm using Pages and Numbers without any crossover problems.  I opened the Word docs I have saved on a CD on my iMac with Pages and didn't have any problems.  Same for the few Excel docs into Numbers.

I'm using a Logitech Solar Powdered Keyboard (bluetooth) again without any problems.  I wanted the larger keyboard so made that switch.  Also a Logitech mouse because I'm so use to the clicked. 

I do like the Trackpad that comes with the computer.  Very cool.

Professor Mike

• 3 Pipes
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 09:38:45 PM »
I have the Apple iMAC and love it.  What do you want to know?  The operating system has been an easy transition from Windows.  I actually started with Apple and went back to it a few years back.
 I was wondering about the easy of operation,is the OS intuitive?What about viruses.I've done a lot of research and the more I read ,the more I like the computer. However I wanted to hear first hand from those who actually own one. I can get an iMac all-in-one from Best Buy for$1099 and for and addition $300 + tax I can get all my files transfered from my old computer + a year of tech support via the Geek Squad.
The expense is not a factor. I just want a reliable computer that performs well,with minnium hassel.I do understand that the current OS is OSX-Maverick,however an upgrade is due in November; OSX=Yosemite and its a free download. I don't play games other that whats on the net;spades,scrabble,hearts,solitare,etc. I do alot of social networking;Facebook,etc. I take lots of pic and download them on Facebook.I've do quite a bit of research.I'm an Immunohemotologist. I perform blood compatibility studies on a molecular level,therefore I am constantly looking on the net for the lastest research articles related to my field. I also do alot of e-mails.

Kindest Regards
  Michael d.Sharum Sr.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 02:13:19 AM by Professor Mike »

Pipe Mama

• 3 Gold Pipes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 02:59:51 AM »
I do understand that the current OS is OSX-Maverick,however an upgrade is due in November; OSX=Yosemite and its a free download.

Yes, the new OS will be out this fall.  I'm currently running Maverick, again, no problems with the programs I am currently running.  One advantage of the new computers, they are giving you Pages (Word) and Numbers (Excel) so no need to immediately purchase Parallels unless you just must use Word.  I plan to upgrade (a cost for me) as it seems to have more security and application features.  Still learning about it myself, but from talking with my daughter, she is looking forward to the improvements.

I don't play games other that whats on the net;spades,scrabble,hearts,solitare,etc. I do alot of social networking;Facebook,etc. I take lots of pic and download them on Facebook

I also do Facebook, and this Forum regularly.  I find Safari easy to use and totally compatible (so for, and that's well over 2 years) with any site I've visited.  The  non-tracking feature when browsing seems to work and it's so easy to remove history and stored information (cookies) with just a could of clicks.

Recently they offered another Search Engine called DuckDuckGo which has more security improvements when searching.  Can't really offer any thoughts on it yet, as I just started using it instead of Google.

My photo program is Aperture.  I do miss Corel's Photoshop, but must say, the Aperture does all I need for now. 

The Apple App store offers everything from Production to Games and more.  There are free programs and ones for purchase, just like the phone.  Very easy to navigate and find what you need.  By using the Apple App Store, they have been tested to work with the Apple family.  Updates are very easy and all in one place.

I was wondering about the easy of operation,is the OS intuitive?What about viruses

Knock on wood, I've been fortunate and not dealt with any viruses on my computer.  The OS is pretty tightly written from what I've read, helping to keep the computer a bit safer from a virus.  Nothing is totally safe from them, but I feel good with this OS more than Windows.

I did download Flash from Adobe.  Interesting enough, when there was a slight risk that Flash might be virus susceptible, Apple/my computer disabled the program until I went to Adobe and downloaded the new version.  Pretty slick, right?

I am constantly looking on the net for the lastest research articles related to my field. I also do alot of e-mails.

Safari has been great at helping me when searching on the net.  Suggestions and the "did you mean?" when I misspell a word--lol---me misspell something?  lol  Even word suggestions as I type this and mistype.

I know the Apples are a bit more expensive, but I wouldn't turn back to Windows unless it was the only way for me to keep a computer.

Professor Mike

• 3 Pipes
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 03:21:47 AM »
Deb:
   Thank you so much for all your input;it has been most enlightening. I beleive I''ll purchase the iMAC.

Pipe Mama

• 3 Gold Pipes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2014, 05:08:34 AM »
I personally love my Apple products.

I did forget about the Mail question.  I use the Mail that is with the OS.  It was easy to set up and no problems downloading my mail from my different accounts.

Good Luck and I look forward to hearing from you about your experiences too :)

vasco

• 1 Gold Pipe
  • just another pipe hacker
    • View Profile
    • Cachimbo PT blog
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2014, 05:06:03 PM »
As an Apple 'hater', just let me give you my input.
If you have the money and can stay away from hype, then go for it. If you don't start believing that Apple is the best you'll be ok.
The hardware is not bad, just overpriced. Being a unix fork, OS X is safer than Windows but it's not as safe as every Apple fan will tell you it is.
I took years to learn that a home computer don't have to be best, it just need to be restful and ran without problems, after a long work day, I don't have the energy to spend hours fixing some obscure problem, and the way current linux distributions are going wont make that any easier.
What I really hate in Apple is all the hype there is about it.
May your troubles be less and your blessings be more,
and nothing but happiness come through your door.
--

briandevlin

• 1 Pipe
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re:
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 09:28:40 AM »
I too hate icrap a good Android tablet great secure system

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

4noggins.com_Mike

• 3 Pipes
  • Lake Tahoe Garage 1920s
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2014, 03:36:15 PM »
I've had an iMac since 2007 and love it. I find using it straight-forward compared to windoze. Lovely not to have to run all the bug-detecto software. Use Firefox, not Safari; run from Safari.

Pipe Mama

• 3 Gold Pipes
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2015, 04:06:53 PM »
Hey Professor Mike,  what did you decide to buy?  And...is it working for you?