Author Topic: Black Maria, Cup, and others  (Read 3549 times)

this_is_1984

• 1 Pipe
  • He's watching
    • View Profile
Black Maria, Cup, and others
« on: March 12, 2014, 03:31:15 AM »
Does anyone here chew Black Maria? I've been wanting to try it but not only can't find anywhere that sells it, I can't ind anywhere that can order it. I think it's made by the same company that makes Cup. What company makes these plugs? Would anyone be willing to send one for me to try? I wanted to try Black Maria because I saw somewhere that it was dark, and not sweet. I chew Goodbite and would like to find any other chewing tobaccos out there that aren't candied.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 03:33:53 AM by this_is_1984 »
War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

speas

• 1 Gold Pipe
    • View Profile
Re: Black Maria, Cup, and others
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 02:56:35 PM »
Nice to have another 'chew fan' here.  I dont think you'll find any of the plugs to be markedly different from the others in terms of sweetness.  They're all fairly sweet by their nature - theyre all only around half tobacco - the other is sweetener and flavors.  Thats not to say that they dont have some difference in flavor.  In terms of makers, I believe that all of the plugs are made by RJ Reynolds/American Snuff Company (the old Conwood) or Pinkerton (Swedish Match).

I myself mostly chew twists (generally one afternoon chew if I'm fading) as they are mostly whole leaf tobacco (rather than bits and sugar).   If you want unsweetened, there are a number of truly unsweetened twists - Cotton Boll being the most notorious (I have Samson's and Kentucky Twist at the present).  These are not firecured but similar to burley and they dry out to being crispy very easily.  There are also lightly sweetened twists, which I prefer such as Mammoth Cave, Red Oak, King B.  Cumberland is a bit sweeter yet but not as sweet as plugs.  I find mine at Ingles supermarket in the Southland when I visit down south - havent yet found a Yankee source.  Mailorder was killed for these thanks to Obama and the DC busybodies.  I myself wish I could find alternative sources as well - I'd send you some but my supply is limited, frankly. The twists are all made by RJ Reynolds or RC Owen, a small company in TN.   

I also have tried Good Bite which I bought from Demuth's, which owned the brand (Demuth's shop sadly closed a few years ago I understand).  I find it fairly similar to Mail Pouch - lighly topped but not really sweetened.  If you want completely unsweetened you can look for Havana Blossom.  Demuth also had something similar though I forget the name - it came in a paper sack (very old timey).

Woodsman

• 4 Gold Pipes
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 04:44:33 PM »
Nice to have another 'chew fan' here.  I dont think you'll find any of the plugs to be markedly different from the others in terms of sweetness.  They're all fairly sweet by their nature - theyre all only around half tobacco - the other is sweetener and flavors.  Thats not to say that they dont have some difference in flavor.  In terms of makers, I believe that all of the plugs are made by RJ Reynolds/American Snuff Company (the old Conwood) or Pinkerton (Swedish Match).

I myself mostly chew twists (generally one afternoon chew if I'm fading) as they are mostly whole leaf tobacco (rather than bits and sugar).   If you want unsweetened, there are a number of truly unsweetened twists - Cotton Boll being the most notorious (I have Samson's and Kentucky Twist at the present).  These are not firecured but similar to burley and they dry out to being crispy very easily.  There are also lightly sweetened twists, which I prefer such as Mammoth Cave, Red Oak, King B.  Cumberland is a bit sweeter yet but not as sweet as plugs.  I find mine at Ingles supermarket in the Southland when I visit down south - havent yet found a Yankee source.  Mailorder was killed for these thanks to Obama and the DC busybodies.  I myself wish I could find alternative sources as well - I'd send you some but my supply is limited, frankly. The twists are all made by RJ Reynolds or RC Owen, a small company in TN.   

I also have tried Good Bite which I bought from Demuth's, which owned the brand (Demuth's shop sadly closed a few years ago I understand).  I find it fairly similar to Mail Pouch - lighly topped but not really sweetened.  If you want completely unsweetened you can look for Havana Blossom.  Demuth also had something similar though I forget the name - it came in a paper sack (very old timey).
Would the latter be Red Man?

speas

• 1 Gold Pipe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 05:41:29 PM »
This was it - found a picture online.  Basically a sack of dry cigar leaf

this_is_1984

• 1 Pipe
  • He's watching
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 06:05:03 PM »
The company who makes it know is Domestic Tobacco company. They used to make all kinds of chew, Jacos, Old Domestic Sweet, and Half sweet. Among many others. I used to love the paper pouches they came in. Unfortunately thanks to Obongo Those paper pouches are now illegal to make, mailing it out of state is illegal, and the business has been hurt greatly. Over the past couple years since 2009 they have discontinued all but Goodbite, Amish Plain, Amish Honey Cured, and JC. I can get them to mail it to me since I live in PA.

I can only chew their stuff. I don't know how long its been since you had Mail Pouch but I can attest to the fact that its now sweeter than pure syrup. I used to chew Mail Pouch daily starting probably in 8th grade (along with occasional Union Workman). I noticed it getting sweeter by the month. It eventually got so sweet I couldn't take it anymore. One day the Grocery store accidentally ordered Amish Honey Cured (which is about half as sweet as mail pouch) and I never looked back. I also don't know how long it's been since you had Goodbite. I don't know how much it's changed over the years, since I used to prefer their old Domestic Half Sweet, I only started Goodbite when they discontinued that. I will say that Goodbite right now is the closest thing you can get to being plain, without being plain. It is extremely lightly flavored. I love the stuff since I don't like sweet things in general, but Plain is just ... well, too plain. Anyone who wants to try it, PM me for a pouch.

speas

• 1 Gold Pipe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 06:51:54 PM »
^the Goodbite as you describe is what I recall.  I also recall Mail Pouch being very similar, but as you suspect, its been a while.  Anyway, if you like Goodbite, you'll be disappointed in any of the plugs.  You might look for the Havana Blossom pouch.  Its been a while but I recall it being unsweetened.  The unsweetened twists are going to be similar to the 'plain'.

speas

• 1 Gold Pipe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 06:56:01 PM »
You might try Lil Brown for Havana Blossom and Cotton Boll

http://lilbrown.com/p-9336-cotton-boll-plug-single.aspx

Looks like they ship to PA now.  I used to order from them until they stopped shipping to me.

this_is_1984

• 1 Pipe
  • He's watching
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 09:07:40 PM »
Does anyone know the name of the company that makes Black Maria?

By the way I've tried Havana Blossom before. Didn't like it. It was dry and bitter. As far as Plain tobacco goes I like "Amish Plain" Made by Domestic tobacco company. I really wish someone made a chewing tobacco that was flavored but not with sugar. I hate sugary stuff (except baked goods) I don't drink soda or sweetened beverages, eat candy (other than a rare chocolate), or add sweetener to my coffee or tea. Just not a fan sweet stuff.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 09:12:36 PM by this_is_1984 »

speas

• 1 Gold Pipe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 10:05:59 PM »
Does anyone know the name of the company that makes Black Maria?

Its a brand from RJ Reynolds/American Snuff Company (the old Conwood)

Woodsman

• 4 Gold Pipes
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 11:26:59 PM »
They still make Redman.

Yohanan

• 4 pipes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2014, 02:57:34 PM »
Does anyone here chew Black Maria? I've been wanting to try it but not only can't find anywhere that sells it, I can't ind anywhere that can order it. I think it's made by the same company that makes Cup. What company makes these plugs? Would anyone be willing to send one for me to try? I wanted to try Black Maria because I saw somewhere that it was dark, and not sweet. I chew Goodbite and would like to find any other chewing tobaccos out there that aren't candied.

I have chewed this, but it has been years ago. This used to be very popular around where I live. But i haven't seen it around in awhile. It is a little on the strong side, but not bad at all. Some folks around here used to take it and break it up, and mix it in with their Redman. I will keep a eye out, and see if I can spot some, used to see it a the grocery stores, but they took all the tobacco products and moved them behind the counter where it is hard to see what they have.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 03:08:20 PM by Yohanan »
  Smoke What You Like, and Like What You Smoke...Regardless of What Anyone Else Thinks.

Tim2

• T
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2014, 12:15:22 AM »
Does anyone here chew Black Maria?

This was made by American Snuff Company and was discontinued about 2 years ago, right after I discovered it and fell in love with it.  The best chew I ever had.