Author Topic: McClelland Va #22  (Read 804 times)

Muddler

• 5 Gold Pipes
    • View Profile
McClelland Va #22
« on: August 14, 2011, 04:09:07 PM »
Described on the tin as "A balanced blend of Eastern and Middle belt Virginias aged in cakes to develop their natural sweetness. A zesty tobacco with rich undertones, coarse enough to smoke on windy days outdoors, but easily rubbed-out to suit any occasion."

It is a broken flake, air-cured. My tin in dated 2006, so it's had some time to develop. The pipe is a Pietenpauw billiard.

The tin aroma is really something special - the richness of stewed apricots. Not much evidence of the usual McClelland acetic acid smell at all.

THe flavour profile in the first half of the bowl is quite narrow - not particularly sweet with layers of lemon. I was expecting something deeper & richer, just coming off tins of Blackwoods Flake & Dark Star. Va #22 is not that. There are light notes of grass, not the hay taste of Union Square. A bit like chewing on a grass stem. Incidentally, the lemon doesn't present as tartness but as a dry (in the wine sense), citrus note.

As the bowl progresses a little more sweetness & roundness comes through but the overall taste does not change much. The grassy note does become a bit more hay-like though. Not that it's monotonous - there's enough going on to keep one interested. Incidentally, I find it useful to exhale through my nose while sampling tobaccos. The sense of smell is often clearer than that of taste.

This is a good tobacco in it's own right. Not what I had expected but good nonetheless. I prefer greater complexity in Va's - Dark Star is a favourite for example. It's one that every Va-phile should try.
Mike

JC

• 2 Gold Pipes
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: McClelland Va #22
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 05:50:05 PM »
Mudd… I think you hit a homerun with this review. I just happen to have an open tin of a 2006 McClelland #22 myself, but not your talent for reviewing.
IMO your review is spot on. Being a big fan of McClelland’s VA’s I was unimpressed with the first half of the bowl. With a name Matured Virginias #22, I just expected the same wow factor (Sweet VA Flavor) I get when lighting up a bowl of Blackwoods Flake or Christmas Cheer. Now I’m not saying this is a bad smoke, it’s just not special… well for me anyway.

BTW… I’m picking up a tin at my local B&M this week based on your earlier review and comments here.

Thanks for the review my friend!
"The right word may be effective, but no word was ever as effective as a rightly timed pause." Mark Twain

Timberwolf

• 4 pipes
    • View Profile
    • Pipes I've made:
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 12:46:27 AM »
Incidentally, the lemon doesn't present as tartness but as a dry (in the wine sense), citrus note.

Citrus note.  I get that with OGS too.  Wonder what gives off that flavor?

Mike, fantastic review.  You know someone nails a review when it does not come across as a fluffed up essay, rather stirs the PAD in ones wallet.  Your review did just that.

Bob Rivet

''By the way, if you ever wonder who has the more unconditional love for you, put your spouse and your dog in the trunk of the car for one hour.  When you open it, who's still happy to see you?"  - Dave Munson - Saddleback Leather Company.

vasco

• 1 Gold Pipe
  • just another pipe hacker
    • View Profile
    • Cachimbo PT blog
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 11:41:13 PM »
May your troubles be less and your blessings be more,
and nothing but happiness come through your door.
--