Author Topic: McClelland Dark Star  (Read 1279 times)

Muddler

• 5 Gold Pipes
    • View Profile
McClelland Dark Star
« on: July 16, 2011, 02:26:15 PM »
McC Dark Star is a matured virginia described so on the tin: "Years before tinning, this rich, cool, dark broken flake begins as bright, yellow, sugary top-grade Virginia. Triple aged, pressed & stoved it has a seductive aroma, smoothness & depth."

My tin is dated 2006. The tobacco, on opening the tin, is far too moist & needs to dry out for a few hours. The presentation is of dark, almost sticky, broken flakes with an aroma of stewed fruit, notably - to my nose - peaches & apricots.

First up, let me clarify the legend that it & 2035 are the same thing - they are not. By comparison, 2035 is monotonic, uninteresting. Dark Star has a far greater range & depth of flavours that develop & play in & out during the smoke. These flavours include burnt toast, the aforementioned stewed fruit & shades of citrus. It's a complex tobacco that deserves some concentration  - it's not the proverbial all-day smoke. The taste is sweet, almost molasses-like, but as the bowl progresses the sweetness tempers to some degree & become just full-on Va goodness.

This tobacco is highly recommended to lovers of rich, full, stoved Va's - it is an outstanding blend.
Mike

TommyTree

• Rationer of the Longbottom Leaf
  • 5 Gold Pipes
  • It's all Earl's Fault!
    • View Profile
    • Ponderings from Piper's Paradise
Re: McClelland Dark Star
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 02:50:00 PM »
You make it sound lovely.

As for seductive aroma, if anyone is actually being seduced by their tobacco, maybe we should have a program for that.
"Mustard does not have a moral!" — Katie Lee

JC

• 2 Gold Pipes
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 03:38:27 PM »
Thanks for the review Mudd...

Like you I too enjoy McClelland Virginias, but haven't yet tried Dark Star though I've considered it many times. I'll now have to pick up a tin next time I'm at my local B&M.

I’m enjoying a bowl of their Matured Virginia #22 as I write this.
"The right word may be effective, but no word was ever as effective as a rightly timed pause." Mark Twain

Booneroo

• 2 Pipes
  • B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 04:03:26 PM »
I've got a tin dated 2007 in my cellar. Can't wait to try it... Though I've got enough open tons at the moment!
Great review!

Pipes and Bikes

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 03:09:13 AM »
 Very nice review Mudman. I love my McClellands and Dark Star is a good one. I dont smoke it quite as much as some of the others but I always have some around.

cigarsarge

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 04:45:55 AM »
I have a tin of Dark Star and have a bit of 2035 headed my way in the mail...A taste test is in the making.