Author Topic: McClelland 2015  (Read 1220 times)

strongirish

• It's all my fault!
  • Adm and Senior Moderator
  • 5 Gold Pipes
  • Got a lite?
    • View Profile
    • Email
McClelland 2015
« on: October 08, 2010, 05:00:33 PM »
As I reviewed in tobaccoreviews.com

I have become quite fan of VaPers and this is another in my quest to try them all.  This is a nice blend but not a great blend.  It comes in a semi rubbed out state, needs drying as it comes to moist and it is of a pretty uniform dark brown color leaf.  The pouch note is slightly sweet, little of the kethchup aroma common with MC blends and a little musky, obviously the perique in it.  If loades easy in the pipe after being rubbed out some more and lights very easy.  It burns at a nice slow pace and has the semi sweet flavor of VA with a touch of the perique emitting through.  It is creamy and non biting to the tongue and while there is no Ah HA moment with it, it really is a pleasant smoke.  But I find it is a little light in the perique dept and the VA used could have been a touch sweeter for it to be a regular for me.  It does burn down to the bottom at it's slow pace needing few relights and it burns dry to the end with a black and white ash and little dottle.  As it is not an inyour face blend, it easily could be an all day blend for some, but for me, it won't make my keep in the cellar list.  I recommend trying it but I can't give it a rousing review as it's pretty non dimentionable.

Muddler

• 5 Gold Pipes
    • View Profile
Re: McClelland 2015
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 05:14:19 PM »
I am far more impressed by 2015 than you, Earl. I find it best with at least a year of age on it & quite well dried. The quality of the red Va's is superb, typical of McClelland, the Perique fairly muted. I have a pound in the cellar.
Mike

Aristokles

• 1 Gold Pipe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 01:11:02 AM »
Interesting. My purchase of 2015 was perfect flakes which did require a bit of drying or a lot of matches. I found the blend a nice alternative to Escudo or Bayou Morning- it being a little less intense and better suited to more than a bowl or two a day.

All in all, I like it.

Different smokes for different folks.

JimVH

• 5 Pipes
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 02:47:04 AM »
2015 is a staple in my house.  I look at it as a solid va/per example.  It's not my perfect blend, but it's good, consistent, and has that McClelland zing - my most frequent go-to, lately.

I also like its DGT qualities.  I'm not above starting a bowl then setting it down until the next day.

smokey422

• 5 Pipes
  • s
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 07:26:58 AM »
Earl, I'm with you on this one. A good tobacco, to be sure, but not a barn burner. A little more VA sweetness would have been appreciated by me. Probably a borderline 3-star blend for me now.
Smokey